|All visits start with an intake and evaluation.
Services that may be rendered include:
- Acupuncture: placement of 4-20 needles in appropriate points on meridians or ashi point (points of pain).
Needles are small and thin and barely felt as they go in. Once in, they may not be felt at all or may produce a dull ache or tingling sensation. Most patients find treatments extremely relaxing and often fall into sleep or deep relaxation.
- Electrical Stimulation: needles connected to battery-operated machines that create a vibration(low level electric current) between the needles. This allows the needle sensation to penetrated deeper into the tissues to promote healing and decrease pain. It is often used for pain related conditions.
- Moxibustion(moxa): traditional heat therapy which can take many forms including direct and indirect. It is used in conditions of stagnation, deficiency and cold. It is a means to stimulate points in combination with needles or without needles.
- Massage: hands on therapy done in conjunction with and usually following acupuncture for musculoskeletal complaints. Various local techniques are used to reinforce the action of the acupuncture in relaxing muscles, relieving pain and removing stagnation.
- Herbal prescription: mixture of individual herbs called a formula prescribed for consumption. Formulas are determined based on a patient's signs, symptoms and diagnosed pattern of disharmony. Herbal perscription comes in many forms including traditional teas(decoctions) which involve boiling dried herbs in water and drinking the resulting tea, powders which can be capsulized or mixed with water to make tea, or pills. The appropriate form will be determined for each patient.
Lifestyle counseling: assessment of dietary, exercise, stress, relationship, emotional and other personal patterns to determine any necessary changes which would support health and healing. The goal is come up with a realistic, integrative plan to maintain health in between treatments and into the future.
|Conditions commonly treated by Acupuncture and Traditional Oriental Medicine:|
Gastrointestinal Disorders such as food allergies, ulcers, diarrhea, constipation, indigestion, gastritis, irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, and general GI weakness
Disorders of the Bones, Muscles, Joints and Nervous System such as pain management in any area of the body including neck, shoulder, knee, wrist , ankle, elbow, knee and back pain, trauma, sports injury, arthritis, fibromyalgia, sciatica, repetitive stress injuries, tendonitis, headaches, neuralgia, dizziness, and insomnia.
Women’s Health Issues such as irregular, heavy, absent or painful menstruation, PMS, infertility (men, too), menopausal and peri-menopausal and other hormonal transitions and imbalances, urinary tract infections/inflammations, vaginal irritations, incontinence
Stress Reduction/Mood Stabilization to help with headaches, migraines, insomnia, anxiety, depression, palpitations, dizziness, addiction, irritability, anger
Immune Enhancement/Regulation to help with frequent colds/flues, sinusitis, asthma, allergies, chronic fatigue, HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis, auto immune disorders
Circulatory Disorders such as hypertension anemia, diabetes, stroke, high cholesterol, poor circulation
It is difficult to specifically list all the situations when acupuncture and TOM can help. It can offer supportive therapy for many chronic and painful debilitating disorders and provide quick resolution of many conditions. If you have questions about whether it can help you please contact me and ask.